Revealing the hidden BBC Test Card on Freeview
Did you realise that on most Freeview televisions, PVRs and set top boxes you can enter a hidden mode that displays on screen the widescreen BBC Test Card W?
I guess it is there for the benefit of the engineering fraternity, giving them easy access to a test card for testing purposes. For those feeling naughty it could also be used to fool someone that the television programmes have gone off and been replaced with a test card.
To see the test card follow the steps below:
- Use your remote to switch to the “BBC Red Button” channel, this is Freeview channel 200 as I write this although it could get moved in the future.
- When the ‘Welcome‘ screen appears press the Yellow button on your remote.
- Now use the remote to switch to any other channel
- Use your remote to switch back to the “BBC Red Button” channel (200).
- When the ‘Welcome‘ screen appears press the Green button on your remote.
- A screen of information should appear, press the Green button on your remote again and up pops BBC Test Card W.
- To escape from the test card you may well have to power the Freeview receiver down from the remote and power it back up again.